Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

Words Of Wisdom From The Great Kenny Rogers

How do you know when it is time to give up on a dream?

For me the time has come.

My dream was to become a corporate level visual merchandiser for a major retailer. I have spent the last 8 years and an obscene amount of money chasing after this dream. Just when I thought I was making some progress the rug was pulled out from under me. The department store that I work for is getting rid of the visual merchandiser position. Within the next few weeks I will be forced to take a lower paying ($12 an hour) managerial position or have no job at all.

This was the final blow. I have spent the last 8 years applying for corporate level visual merchandising positions to no avail. The current state of the economy and the fact that most of these jobs are in New York is not helping. I didn't know what I was going to do, I thought about moving to New York to further pursue the career of my dreams but realized that New York is filled with qualified candidates. If they could not get these jobs, then what chance did I have.

I was driving home from work, crying and depressed when I heard Kenny Rogers sing a song I have heard a million times but never paid much attention to.

The Gambler.

You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run.
You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table.
There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done.

It helped me realize that sometimes you just have to stop, I don't want to spend the next 8 years chasing after a dream. I have decided to change my career.

While I don't relish the idea of going back to school, it is time to grow up and pursue a real career. I have decided to either become a nurse or a dietitian.


1 comment:

  1. I liked your idea for your last blog and was interested in seeing you meet your goals. I had to follow you here.

    My question is this- nursing and working as a dietian seem like such huge jumps from someone who worked in retail and wanted to be a visual merchandiser. I would think this would mean you have a love of fashion and wouldn't that and your retail experience lend itself to opening your own boutique? Also, both of your possible career paths mean significant years in school. Not trying to criticize but just curious about the choices. It doesn't seem like they would fit your personality (again this comes from reading your last blog). Can't wait to read more on your blog!

    ReplyDelete