Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Water Water Everywhere

How much water should you drink in a day?

I Googled that question and found this on the Mayo Clinic web site

  • Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.
  • Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.
  • Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

I hardly drink anything through out the day, I'm surprised that I haven't died of dehydration yet. I was doing o.k. with my water intake for a while but then I fell off the wagon.

My first step toward better health is to drink 9 cups of water per day.

Currently I carry 1 700ml (1 pint) bottle of water to work with me every day, to get the 9 cups recommended I would need to drink 4.5 bottles every day.

To make this more economical (and earth friendly) I will buy gallon water bottles and drink half per day.

Wow, I am going to be spending a lot of time in the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment