Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Closet Handbag Designer


If you have been following my journey through my many, many blogs you know I went to fashion design school. While in school I learned all of the essentials to become a fashion designer, draping, drafting, textiles etc. While I liked designing clothes, I loved designing accessories. It started with home decor accessories (pillows, place mats, shower curtains) and evolved to fashion accessories. My favorite accessory to make was handbags, I started with clutches and ended with weekend bags. The bag pictured above was made 2 years ago and I haven't sewn since.

I can't remember what made me stop sewing, I'm sure it was a combo of work stress (back then I worked with a pack of ass h&%$s) and working too many hours (12 hours a day will suck the creativity out of you).

The idea of designing and sewing again never left my mind, I would spend hours lurking on Etsy and Art Fire to see what the other crafters and designers were doing. I've done all the research into DBA's, business licences, suppliers.

So, what's stopping me?

I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. I am currently working with a crowd of A**h***s and it knocks the stuffing out of you.
    But you need to do something which makes you feel good about you, so get sewing again, your bag is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your old blog while searching 4 "FB makes me sad", etc (I have this THING about FB lately!) & I ended up here. I'm older than you but also starting over (again). I think you're an amazing person! You struggle, yes (don't we ALL?) but you pick yourself up. You really examining where you want to go & how you might get there.....instead of sitting on your ass and whining the whole time. Resilience is a powerful thing, but we don't hear a lot about it. Kudos to you for all you've accomplished. And just know that you're an inspiration to me:)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete