Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

3x+7=13. Solve for x

I finally received my study guide for the TEAS exam and boy is my brain tired.

The study guide is broken down into 4 sections

1. Reading
2. Math
3. Science
4. English

I am not worried about the reading and english sections because I have always excelled in those areas. Science has me a little concerned because it has been years since I have studied any kind of science. But the math has me terrified. Math was my worst subject in school, I barley got through it the first time.

I have basic math down pact, but algebra is not my friend. I mean, when is the last time you used algebra in real life?

Can anyone solve this problem?

Jamal's age is 3 less than twice Henry's age. The sum on Jamal and Henry's ages is 39. How old is Jamal?

a. 14
b. 39
c. 21
d. 25

I may have to find a tutor online.

Thank god for the Internet.

4 comments:

  1. It's d!

    I stumbled across your blog recently and enjoy your passion and ambition. You can do it, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamal's age is 3 less than twice Henry's age. The sum on Jamal and Henry's ages is 39. How old is Jamal?

    J = 2H-3
    J + H = 39

    =>
    2H-3 + H = 39
    =>
    3H-3 = 39
    =>
    3H = 42
    =>
    H = 14
    =>
    J = 2(14)-3 = 25

    double checking:
    25 + 14 = 39. Check.

    Is that right?

    The two difficult parts are turning the word problem into equations and then solving for the variables. They both take a lot of practice. Solving for the variables it's good to practice order of operations.

    And of course there's that tricky bit where they put down Henry's age as a choice too-- I almost got tripped up with that one. Double checking is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete